Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warm welcome to Ed Pitcher and Ricardo Velarde- The flying of falcons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A warm welcome to Ed Pitcher and Ricardo Velarde- The flying of falcons

I would like to welcome the authors of The Flying of Falcons ,Ed Pitcher and Ricardo Velarde, to NAFEX. They have written one of the most influential books about falconry and have changed the way many falconers approach flying longwings. I speak from personal experience as their dialogue affected my own practice by allowing me to rethink my approach.

Its great to have you both on NAFEX.

See you at NAFA ED!

Chris
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Howdy, Ricardo and Ed .....I own this title in two forms. Both the standard trade edition and the leather bound edition. I will tell you that aside from it being a great read, i think it is one of the most well done books of recent times. You will NOT be disappointed if you happen to pick this title up.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Quote Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN View Post
    Howdy, Ricardo and Ed .....I own this title in two forms. Both the standard trade edition and the leather bound edition. I will tell you that aside from it being a great read, i think it is one of the most well done books of recent times. You will NOT be disappointed if you happen to pick this title up.
    Oh heck Bill, you should have brought that copy with you for Andy to sketch something in. Next time perhaps?

Hope you're well Ricardo, and look forward to getting to know you Ed.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Oh heck Bill, you should have brought that copy with you for Andy to sketch something in. Next time perhaps?

Best wishes,

Tony.
    It never crossed my mind! Next for sure!
    Bill

Best wishes,

Tony.

Tony,.... Now you've sparked my imagination. Tell Andy I'm coming over with my leather-bound copy and whatever it takes to convince him to do a little sketch in there somewhere! I'm kidding, of course, but that would be a great idea. The leather edition of this title is special enough as it is. An Ellis original inside would probably make it the finest book on my shelves!
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
    The leather edition of this title is special enough as it is. An Ellis original inside would probably make it the finest book on my shelves!

Agreed!
    Chris Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
    Tony,.... Now you've sparked my imagination. Tell Andy I'm coming over with my leather-bound copy and whatever it takes to convince him to do a little sketch in there somewhere! I'm kidding, of course, but that would be a great idea. The leather edition of this title is special enough as it is. An Ellis original inside would probably make it the finest book on my shelves!
    Hi Scott,

you might have to do as I did --- get him drunk then shove the book and a pen in his hand before you show him his bedroom

Best wishes,

Tony.

Hi Scott,

you might have to do as I did --- get him drunk then shove the book and a pen in his hand before you show him his bedroom

Best wishes,

Tony.
    I can tell you that bribing him with Merlin hoods works too 😉
    Bill

Well there goes the neighborhood...!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

First I would like to thank Mr. Lynn for his encouragement and help getting us set up with thos forum.
    I have to tell you that we don't do very much on the Internet. Now, Ed doesn't like it at all, but another reason why he doesn't get involved is because he doesn't have a good Internet connection and it is very frustrating for him to do anything.
    For myself, computers and I don't seem to get along very well, but at least I know I will get more done on the Internet then Ed
    When the book came out a few years ago, we tried to promote it but we were not ready for the overwhelming response. Before the book came out Ed kept asking me if I thought that anybody would be interested in reading our book. I kept telling him that after investing so many years in our project we were not about to give up. One of the things that surprised us very much was the amount of people that wanted to argue with us about what was said in the book or what we didn't say. I guess some of these people never saw the lines in the book that said "This is a way, not the way".
    A year or so ago we were giving a presentation over in Europe and a falconer would not stop arguing about the book and how he didn't like the approach, so out of the blue Ed asked him: Do you know how a parachute works? The falconers was kind of stunned with the questions and didn't know how to answer the questions. So then Ed says "YOU OPEN IT"
    We always mentioned that one of our goals with this book was to hope it would create some good positive dialogue among falconers.
    So I hope that is the case in this forum.

Kindest Regards
    Ricardo Velarde

Hi Ricardo,

I know you and Ed have been members here for around 4-5 years. I guess it wouldn't be out of place to add a welcome from me also and thank you for the kind words you and Ed gave me in the book publically.

Regards
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Hello Tom. As Ed always said, he wouldn't be practicing his kind of falconry if it wasn't for you. He always gave you all the credit for encouraging him to practice his own thing and not what the norm was doing. Being the thinker that he is, as you well know, he is the most influential falconer of our times. Listening to falconers while talking, writing articles and expressing themselves using the language that is in our book says something. So to say the least we are very pleased. Take care

Great book!

Anyone reading this thread and wondering where to buy... here's a link to it on Western Sporting for your convenience:

http://www.westernsporting.com/FB270...Hardbound.html

I'm not sure it's available anywhere else, or if possible to buy directly but it might be good to post that here too if someone knows. I bought the regular version... kind of wish I'd bought the leather bound one. Are those still available too?
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Our website went down a few months ago, no idea why and no one could fix it.
    We made a new website and I am still adding a few things for people to read.
    You can also order the book through the website if you are in the USA. If anyone outside the USA is interested on a book, you will have to contact us by email or call us to figure out you correct shipping cost.
    Your options for our book are:
    Regular book $85.00
    Signed, Sealed and Embossed is $100.00
    The Limited Edition Leather Bound book is $525.00. Each one of these books is a "One of a Kind". These books take about six to eight months for delivery.
    The Limited edition has an extra page with an Andre Ellis sketch of a stooping falcon after some game. On that same page you have the names and signatures of the Authors and Artists involved on our book. Only 100 of these books will be made. My guess is that about forty of these books are still available.
    I will try to add a few photos of some of these books here later on.

My email: flyingfalcons@me.com
    Cell: (1) 435-901-1773

Ricardo, for those that may be wondering, how many of the leather bound books do you have on hand at the moment?
    Bill

He said maybe 40 still available, Bill.

This looks like a neat book. Im going to buy it. Welcome to the forum, guys.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    He said maybe 40 still available, Bill.

This looks like a neat book. Im going to buy it. Welcome to the forum, guys.

Mike
    That's how many are left to be sold out of the 100 LE copies. Considering the binder in Spain is only capable of making 2 per month, that doesn't mean Ricardo and Ed have 40 leather bound books sitting around. When I bought mine, they had 6. Only 2 were available.
    Bill

Bill. I only have mine that I use to show people what a leather bound book looks like.
    My problem at the moment is the artist is spending more time in Paris with her husband and the books are getting harder to get. We usually wait until we have five or six finished books and then we have the shipped all at once. A little cheaper that way and it saves the customer a few dollars also. When I receive the books we send a note out to our list of interested falconers and within a few days the books are sold.
    I will try to find out where we are in the process and let you know.
    Ricardo Velarde- Coauthor, The Flying of Falcons
    To Purchase a Copy: www.theflyingoffalcons.com

I was just curious(don't really need a 2nd leather bound copy, but.....) I just thought letting others know how many you have on-hand available for purchase would be good. Thanks Ricardo.
    Bill

Ricardo,

I thought you and Ed would appreciate seeing what I've done with my copy. Bill Barbour will appreciate this too, as he and I both make custom clamshell boxes for some of the nicer titles in our collections. (the clamshells protect books from light, dust, etc..)

Scott McNeff

Maine

HOLY SMOKES!!! That is Superb!!! and yes it is very important to protect ANY BOOK from the sun light.
    How much are your clamshells?
    Other falconers are asking for the naked pages so they can do their own custom work on some of these books.

Well,...since Scott has went and started it, i will post some pics of my leather bound copy. I had Jim Currier of Currier Bindery in Rhode Island make the clamshell for my copy. As Scott has mentioned, he and i have since started dabbling in making our own clamshell's for titles in our personal collection's. In my photo's you will see the special page Ricardo has mentioned, that Andy Ellis did for the LE version and that it's signed by all of those involved with the book.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill

Dang, guys, you had to go and post those pics. Now you've got me wanting a leather copy...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by R Velarde View Post
    HOLY SMOKES!!! That is Superb!!! and yes it is very important to protect ANY BOOK from the sun light.
    How much are your clamshells?
    Other falconers are asking for the naked pages so they can do their own custom work on some of these books.

Ricardo,

Thanks for the compliment. I have not sold any of the clamshells that I've been making. Like Bill said, it's simply a personal passion. That's not to say that I wouldn't make a few for friends, etc., but at this point it's just a craft that I enjoy. In fact,.... put me on the short list if any unbound pages are going out. I'd be interested in fully binding a copy of this title if you and Ed decide that you're willing to offer a few "one-offs." I've got a similar project going right now with a different falconry title. The interest (as you mention) is in creating a real "one of a kind."
    Scott McNeff

Maine

As I said before, there is not one alike. I love the texture leather ones. The first book I ever saw with leather like that was at the artist's shop, smaller than our book was close to $4000 with the gold leaf, etc.
    Our books might seem high on price, but with my commitment to making 100 copies, we got a killer deal that you will not find anywhere.
    A real collectors item.
    PS. How do you post a photo here?

As I said before, there is not one alike. I love the texture leather ones. The first book I ever saw with leather like that was at the artist's shop, smaller than our book was close to $4000 with the gold leaf, etc.
    Our books might seem high on price, but with my commitment to making 100 copies, we got a killer deal that you will not find anywhere.
    A real collectors item.
    PS. How do you post a photo here?
    Ricardo let me update your membership so you can direct upload. When you post there is a little paperclip in the reply bock. Click on that and upload the file. Call if you need some help

Chris
    Chris Lynn

Thanks for the info on the leather bound limited edition version, I'd like to get one of these for my library! I sent you an email, just let me know the details.

Maybe then I can talk Bill or Scott into making me one of those awesome clamshells too!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

I found the photo of the book that got me thinking about making these leather limited edition. The gold leaf, paintings, etc.. amounted to 2985 euros!!!
    Also here are a couple of other books we have sold, just to wet your appetite.
    RV
    PS. This is the first time I upload some photos so I hope it works.

I guess it didn't. I see the files are too large. Lets see this time.
    RV
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
    Thanks for the info on the leather bound limited edition version, I'd like to get one of these for my library! I sent you an email, just let me know the details.

Maybe then I can talk Bill or Scott into making me one of those awesome clamshells too!

Ken,

Just give me a shout man. I've already got the measurements I need.

Ricardo,
    Glad you got those photos up. They look great! Nice copies, for sure.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

The pics of these one off specials treated to extra care made me muse at the state of my own copy. It's getting pretty tatty with much of the hard cover printing warn off and corners roughed over after endless readings, for many months a constant companion on my daily commute into work. This book stands alone as an insight into falcons and what is possible in falconry through a philosophy that was eye opening and mind changing.

This book has changed my way of looking at my own falcon. Whilst I know that given present circumstances I'm unable to replicate much of what Ed has achieved, I have also learned how far I still have to climb to begin to see the full potential of the falcon in my mews. As I develop as a falconer what I have learned of Ed's philosophy as much as his method I am sure will be a major influence. At the very least it has shown me to go forward with an open mind and listen to the falcon

Unfortunately I appear unable to post an attachment to show what this book looks like after it has blown your mind and fired your dreams.

Glad to see the authors on Nafex. This is a wonderful book both in content and style.
    Much of what was written I've found is applicable with my imprint goshawk.
    Scott that is a beautiful cover.
    Carlos
    Carlos

Beautiful! I am in for a leather bound edition too. Please let me know when they arrive Ricardo.
    Chris Lynn

Hello Tony. Great to hear from you. I saw your post and I wanted to respond earlier, but this darn life gets in the way. I hope you can make plans to come over to visit some day. I have not given up on the idea of coming over with Ed to the UK and share some of our ideas.
    Now we are working on book #2. I never thought it would happen. This subject is never ending and we knew we could have added a lot more to it but with ought having it turn into a how to book.
    You and I could have a nice discussion sharing our ideas and that is about as far as it goes, but the bad news about writing a book is that once you have it in writing people get emotional about it, the jealousy and egos start to show up,YIKES. Also others will take it as if that was the only way of approaching falconry.
    I am sure some of the things that are in the book, we might be doing them differently today. I have said this before but one of the reasons our book was not a recipe title was because I am sure that our goals, terrain and ideas are very different to other falconers.
    We wanted to have the book make someone think about what would be the best approach to handling a falcon, or for that matter any bird of prey, and get the most out of that bird within their world and situations.
    One big mistake we made in our book was to have numbers about how high these falcons can fly. The last thing this book was about was that. We have received emails from falconers saying they enjoyed the book but that they could not practice falconry that way. Too bad because they missed the point of what the book was about. If I was to summarize the book in one word, it would be that the book was about RELATIONSHIPS. So we learned, the second book will not have heights.
    The first book took us 25 years to publish and I am hoping this second book doesn't do that to us, because I am sure the circle of life will not allow us to do that.
    As I said, I hope we can get together in the near future.
    Kindest Regards
    Ricardo

Hello Tony. Great to hear from you. I saw your post and I wanted to respond earlier, but this darn life gets in the way. I hope you can make plans to come over to visit some day. I have not given up on the idea of coming over with Ed to the UK and share some of our ideas.
    Now we are working on book #2. I never thought it would happen. This subject is never ending and we knew we could have added a lot more to it but with ought having it turn into a how to book.
    You and I could have a nice discussion sharing our ideas and that is about as far as it goes, but the bad news about writing a book is that once you have it in writing people get emotional about it, the jealousy and egos start to show up,YIKES. Also others will take it as if that was the only way of approaching falconry.
    I am sure some of the things that are in the book, we might be doing them differently today. I have said this before but one of the reasons our book was not a recipe title was because I am sure that our goals, terrain and ideas are very different to other falconers.
    We wanted to have the book make someone think about what would be the best approach to handling a falcon, or for that matter any bird of prey, and get the most out of that bird within their world and situations.
    One big mistake we made in our book was to have numbers about how high these falcons can fly. The last thing this book was about was that. We have received emails from falconers saying they enjoyed the book but that they could not practice falconry that way. Too bad because they missed the point of what the book was about. If I was to summarize the book in one word, it would be that the book was about RELATIONSHIPS. So we learned, the second book will not have heights.
    The first book took us 25 years to publish and I am hoping this second book doesn't do that to us, because I am sure the circle of life will not allow us to do that.
    As I said, I hope we can get together in the near future.
    Kindest Regards
    Ricardo
    Hi Ricardo,

I know what you mean about life getting in the way sometimes. It's hard enough getting out to fly falcons each day, let alone writing about it too.

I also know how, once something is published, further experience and thought makes you wish it could be retrospectively modified. But heck, so long as it's honest and based on experience to that date, it's as good as it possibly could be.

I'd love to spend time again with yourself and Ed (who I've never met), to discuss all that's in your book and so much more. I know it would be fun for all of us. One day we must make it happen, and if you fancy a visit to the UK, you're welcome to base yourself at my home.

This thread has caused me to revisit The Flying of Falcons, and I'm enjoying it once more.
    Being as I am, a proud gamehawker, there are aspects within the book that challenge me, which can only be a constructive thing. Currently we would differ in some small ways, as indeed most falconers differ in small ways --- but there's a beauty about that, and it's a shame to know that challenges to methodology or indeed philosophy can't be met with reasoned debate and good grace, which I know was one of your ambitions.

I'm a big reader (of falconry books only I'm afraid) and have a pretty extensive library spanning nearly 800 years.
    Many of those books are beautiful, informative, educational, entertaining, even magical. Few are what yours is --- challenging.
    Congratulations I say.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Thread Information